Web Developer (PHP)
We are looking for a developer to work in our office in Brighton's North Laine, helping to deliver high-quality websites, e-commerce and online systems to a wide range of clients.
The role will focus on backend development using primarily PHP and MySQL. You'll get to work on a variety of interesting projects including development of Mothership, our open source e-commerce platform.
Our ideal candidate would:
- Have experience using object-oriented PHP
- A solid understanding of MySQL
- Have solid HTML skills and an understanding of semantic mark-up
Knowledge or experience in the following would be an advantage but are not requirements:
- Symfony 2
- Writing tests with PHPUnit
- Version control using Git and Github
- Apache and Nginx
- Experience working with third-party APIs
- We really care about quality, not only of what the client can see, but also the code we have to work with. Everything we produce is peer reviewed. We find that these code and functionality reviews are a great way of sharing knowledge and pushing up the standard.
- We believe in automation; deploying our code using a one line command. Everything is handled automatically and if something goes wrong it's just one more command to roll back.
- We believe in documenting our code well, so other developers can easily understand it next year, and new developers can quickly orient themselves.
- We believe in writing tests for our code, so we can safely refactor it when we find ways to make it better; and we can keep technical debt at bay.
- We believe in modularising our code by writing small independent libraries that can be easily swapped out, and which, when combined, form a complete system. No behemoth spaghetti-code here.
At Message we give a damn about building the web the right way, and the successful applicant will too.
You’ll get to work on a variety of interesting projects where everyone gets involved at each stage of the process, contributing to the team effort and helping to deliver high quality websites, e-commerce and online systems to a wide range of clients.
- Negotiable based on experience
- Conferences and training budget
- Enrolment in our healthcare scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
As an employer Message is flexible and understanding, with a friendly and hardworking atmosphere and some of the benefits of joining Message are:
- Being part of an innovative and creative team
- Working with a variety of exciting clients
- Central Brighton location
- Room to develop and grow within the company
If you are interested in the the role please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your CV.
NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES, EVER - please don't waste your time or ours